The Mohawk Valley Water Authority (MVWA) is reassuring the public that the drinking water supply is safe. The production of filtered, purified drinking water will continue uninterrupted and unaffected by the current state of emergency related to the Covid19 virus. Scientific research conducted by federal and international agencies indicates our current disinfection process and chlorine dosage is effective at preventing the spread of this virus through drinking water.
However, the MVWA offices at Utica City Hall will be closed to visitors effective immediately. Emergency services and routine system repairs and maintenance will remain operational.
Until further notice, the following changes in services are effective immediately:
- Customer questions regarding water bills will be handled by telephone only at 315-792-0301.
Customers can continue to pay water bills online at www.mvwa.us, by mail using the return
envelope provided, at Parkway Drugs, or by telephone at the above number.
- Home appointments for meter service or other inspections will also be discontinued until
further notice except for emergency service calls involving active leaks. Requests for
emergency services can be directed to the phone number above.
- Contractors and engineers needing to complete applications, permits, or plan approvals
should contact the MVWA engineering department directly at 315-792-0320.
The Mohawk Valley Water Authority is committed to providing safe and reliable drinking water
and will maintain strict vigilance in monitoring and safeguarding the public water supply.
The Mohawk Valley Water Authority is a regional agency that provides drinking water to
approximately 128,000 customers throughout 18 municipalities in Oneida and Herkimer
Counties. Contact the MVWA at 792-0301
MVWA KIOSK AT BANK OF UTICA (222 Genesee Street, Utica, NY 13502)
Use of the Bank of Utica Washington Street entrance for Mohawk Valley
Water Authority (MVWA) payments via the MVW A kiosk.
- The Bank will allow MVWA customers access to the kiosk between the hours of 10 a. m. and 2 p. m., Monday thru Friday.
- Upon arrival, anyone looking to use the kiosk will need to check in at our walk-up teller window. A Bank employee will then open our Washington Street rear entrance door to let them in.
- One MVWA customer will be allowed in at a time.
- Anyone showing symptoms of COVID-19 (cough, fever, sore throat, etc.) will not be allowed in to use the kiosk.
- If supplies are available, we may require kiosk users to wear protective gear (i.e., a mask and/ or gloves).
- Bank employees will observe social distancing by staying at least 6 feet away from kiosk users.
- As the kiosk is not a Bank of Utica service, we will be unable to assist MVW A customers - they will be directed to contact MVWA.
NEW! LIMITED LAB SERVICES:
MVWA is only accepting samples from other public water supplies until further notice. Please call the lab at 315-792-0301 before you bring samples. Utica City Hall is closed to the general public. Please note your Federal Water Supply ID number on the submission forms. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
CORONAVIRUS FAST FACTS
- The virus is susceptible to disinfectants used in water treatment.
- Coronaviruses are NOT more resistant to disinfection than E. coli, which water systems must protect against.
- Chlorination can be effective in destroying the virus.
- A free chlorine residual, which must be maintained for public water systems to protect against microbes, is a good indicator that the water is safe from viruses. MVWA continually monitors the chlorine residual throughout the distribution system network.
- Dilute bleach solutions (0.1% - 0.5%) and 70% alcohol have proven to be effective against similar coronaviruses.
- Good hygienic practices are effective in controlling the spread of viruses.