WATER MAINTENANCE PERSON
Distinguishing Features of the Class:
This position exists at the Upper Mohawk Valley Regional Water Board, and is manual work involving responsibility for performing the more complex duties in the extension and maintenance of the water system. The work requires physical endurance and willingness to work under extreme weather conditions during emergencies. The work is usually performed under immediate supervision of a supervisor; although routine maintenance work may be performed under general supervision, in which case, it is checked during progress and upon completion. Supervision is not normally a requirement of this class. The incumbent performs related work as required.
Typical Work Activities: (Illustrative Only)
- Lays and maintains water mains and lines;
- Makes taps for consumer services and for installing valves and fire lines;
- Locates leaks, installs clamps and sleeves and makes other emergency repairs;
- Leads in running joints, including preparing and pouring joints;
- Installs, repairs and resets hydrants, valves and related fittings;
- Operates back hoe, power shovel, bulldozer, tractor, crane and other construction machinery;
- Performs carpentry, masonry and other construction work in the extension and maintenance of the water system, including buildings and reservoirs;
- Performs a variety of manual work such as digging, backfilling, loading and unloading pipe, mowing grass, shoveling snow and cleaning machinery and equipment.
One (1) year of satisfactory experience in the maintenance of a municipal water system, or similar type work.
NOTE: Verifiable part-time experience as described above will be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements.
Possession of an appropriate level, valid New York State Driver's License at time of appointment. This license must be maintained throughout appointment.