Position is now closed
METER SERVICE PERSON
Distinguishing Features of the Class:
This position is public contact work involving setting, removing, and otherwise servicing water meters at the consumer's premises. This work does not involve the repair of meters, which is usually done at the repair shop. The work is performed under direct supervision of the Water Authority Administrative Officer and in accordance with established policies and procedures. Supervision is not normally a responsibility of this class. The incumbent performs related work as required.
Typical Work Activities: (Illustrative Only)
- Sets, removes and changes meters requested by consumers;
- Changes meters for routine tests;
- Reads meters for final bills;
- Inspects new services for compliance with required specifications;
- Inspects new or changed fire protection line services;
- Responds to consumer complaints regarding meters;
- Keeps records and prepares activity reports;
- Performs routine data entry and retrieval;
- Turns water on/off at curb stop as needed.
Full Performance Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Personal Characteristics:
Good knowledge of the operation of water meters; good knowledge of local geography; good knowledge of hand tools; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; ability to make simple arithmetic computations; ability to install and service water meters; tact and courtesy in dealing with the public; dependability; mechanical aptitude; manual dexterity.
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma AND one (1) year of experience using hand tools AND one (1) year of experience in the operation of a computer.
Possession of a valid New York State driver’s license at time of appointment. License must remain valid throughout appointment.
Verifiable part-time experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements.